Wednesday, August 18, 2010

26 weeks of training starts September 21

There are 213 days before next years marathon and 33 days before I begin 26 weeks of training. Next years marathon will be held on Sunday, March 20th, 2011 and I am so looking forward to it. I'm not going to lie and say I'm actually looking forward to the actual training, because let me tell you, it's going to be tough. A beginning racer like myself is suppose to train 3 times during the work week and again on Saturday.

The problem I am going to have, is finding the time during the week to train. My son will be arriving in October and I will be working nights again. When am I suppose to squeeze in 4 miles, 3 times during the work week? Saturdays are suppose to be the long runs, and I can see myself doing them in the mornings, but how I am going to manage training during the week, remains to be seen. However I am determined and one way or another I will do it.

My training will start with runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. They will start at 2 miles each day and gradually work themselves up. They will average at 4 miles and peak at 5. It may not sound like much but Saturdays will be long runs. Saturday runs will start at 3 miles and will also gradually increase over time. My Saturday runs will be intense. As I look at my calendar, I can see plenty of 10 mile runs, 12 mile runs and even a 20 mile run on Saturday February 19th. The Saturday runs are what really get your body used to the distance.

I don't care what my timing is during the race. The only thing I care about is finishing the race, no matter what the time is. I have wanted to complete this marathon for many years. Last year seemed like it would be the year and of course it was not. When last years marathon came, I actually saw some of the participants later that night when I went out to dinner. They had finished their goal and they wore their medals proudly. I promised myself that would be me next year.

I can't wait until I pass the finish line and look up to see my wife and son waiting for me. That vision is what will keeps me going. This years theme, like last year will be "Stadium to the Sea", but it my eyes it will be "Stadium to my Family".

1 comment:

  1. Weren't you at Hometown Buffet on Sept. 21?

    (Sorry but if your own brother can't mess with you, who can?)

    ReplyDelete